CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »


This blog is for friends and family to see and hear what is happening in the lives of our new family. Isla and Fiona joined our family on March 14, 2008. Isla weighed in at 6 lbs 14 oz and Fiona was 5 lbs 6 oz. Feel free to post comments on this site, and to share it with any other twin moms that you know.

Friday, September 5, 2008

Babywise is my Bible



I can't believe I haven't posted anything about this yet since this literally is our go-to guide for anything schedule/sleep/food related. I was pretty much a schedule nazi for the first 4 months and have only recently relaxed a bit and moved from a 3 hour feeding schedule to a 4 hour schedule. The Babywise book warned not to do this until the babies were sleeping through the night. However, with returning to work, the 4 hour schedule seemed so much more convienient, so I decided to try it. For the past 3 weeks I've been trying to figure out why in the *&*&(*^ Fiona is waking up 2-4 times a night. It just dawned on me that she is not getting enough calories during the day. Duh! Needless to say we are back to the 3 hour schedule and she is sleeping better. They claim that most Babywise babies are sleeping through the night by 3 months. I think Isla would have been but Fiona just needs lots of food.

Anyway, On Becoming Babywise is certainly controversial. Just do a Google search and you will find lots of anti-Babywise moms. However, I love it! It hasn't been perfect. I think with one baby it would be close, but "Letting them cry" is so much harder when they wake each other up. The book's basic principal is following an eat, wake time, sleep schedule that teached the baby to fall asleep on their own. I figuered there was no way I could rock two babies to sleep so the earlier they could get themselves to sleep the better. The book does leave a lot of questions unanswered, so thank God there is a fantastic blog out there that answers every possible question. http://www.chroniclesofababywisemom.blogspot.com/ is awesome!

Having the babies on a schedule makes it possible for us to plan our day. We know when they will be napping, eating and going to bed each night. Of course, it doesn't always work perfectly but we have two happy babies and I'm convinced that this is a major reason.

0 comments: